How To Choose the Best German Online Casino
There are many online casinos for new and seasoned players to pick from. How do you decide which is best for you? What are the things to look out for or keep in mind when looking for the best German online casinos?
All the online casinos we recommended met the criteria we will discuss in this section. Read through this section for the features you should consider when doing your research.
Player Safety & Security
Credible Casino Licenses
There are bodies from certain jurisdictions that offer casino gambling licenses for authorized operations. When an online casino has one such license from a reputable governing body, you can be sure that it would do right by you to avoid losing its license.
Top online casino Germany has licenses from the Malta Gaming Authority (MGA), the United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC), and the Glücksspielstaatsvertrag (German Inter-State Treaty on Gambling).
English is usually the default language in most online casinos, but the German gambling laws now require licensed casinos to provide their websites and apps in German. This would remove any language barriers you may encounter and make the platform easier to access and navigate.
The most popular games in an online casino’s game library are slots, and table games, including blackjack, baccarat, roulette, and poker. These games have several variations, so you should ensure that your preferred online casino in Germany has an extensive library of exciting game titles. These games should also come from reputable and licensed software providers like Play’n Go, Novomatic, Microgaming, and NetEnt.
Fair Bonuses & Promotions
Bonuses and promotions are what German online casinos use to draw you in and keep you from visiting their competition. You want to find generous bonuses and promotions with fair wagering requirements in welcome packages, free spins, cashback, match deposit bonuses and loyalty reward programs. We go into more details in a different section of this guide.
Some casinos request tax for payouts. You should ensure that your winnings are tax-free before creating an account on any online casino in Germany and making a deposit, local or otherwise. This is because gambling in Germany, like most Europe Economic Areas (EEA), is 100% tax-free.
Multiple Payment Options
You want to find an online casino in Germany that offers multiple banking options for deposits and withdrawals. Look for one that supports quick and secure methods like PayPal, Paysafecard, Skrill, and Neteller. We will go into more detail in a different section of this guide.
Favourable Withdrawal Times
No player wants to wait several days to receive their winnings in their bank account. The processing time for any withdrawal request is dependent on the amount, the banking method, and the casino’s policies.
You want to choose quick payout options like e-wallets but avoid bank transfers, which can take up to five days unless necessary. Ensure you submit all necessary documents early on to prevent further delays to your payout.
Responsive Customer Support
Every online casino offers some level of support to its customers, but you should look for one that provides access to a responsive customer representative team. They should be able to provide timely responses to any issues you may encounter. The top online casino Germany offers customer support via 24/7 live chat, email, and sometimes phone in both English and native German Language. This would come in handy when you need to resolve any issues, including financial transactions and Know-Your-Customer (KYC) verification.
Bonuses in German Casinos
There are various bonuses players can benefit from when they register on German online casinos. Using these bonuses, you can enjoy the gameplay and boost your bankroll. Before you accept any online casino bonus Germany, it is essential to read through the casino’s terms & conditions for wagering requirements, qualified payment methods, and bonus validity.
- Deposit bonuses are gifts given to players when they make deposits that surpass the minimum limit. They usually match bonuses of the percentage of money deposited up to a particular amount. For instance, a 100% match deposit means that if a player deposits €100, they would receive an additional €100 to enjoy the gameplay.
- Free spins: These are gifts that players can use for slot machines. They are typically set to specified slot machines.
- No deposit bonuses: Some online casinos offer bonuses like free spins or some cash for gameplay once a player signs up. You do not need to make any deposit to qualify for this online casino bonus Germany.
- Cashback: Losses are common in online casinos, and as a way to pay players back, they give a cashback that is a percentage of accumulated losses over a period. If any players lose €100 over a month, a 50% monthly cashback will get them an extra €50 to play games with.
- Loyalty reward programs: To reward loyalty, casinos offer a program that compensates frequent players. This program has a tier that players have to advance through, and the bonuses and gifts increase the higher they go. You do not need to make huge deposits to climb the tiers; you just need to play often.
Payment Methods for German Casino Players
The best online casino Germany offer players multiple payment options for depositing funds and withdrawing winnings. Some of these methods require transaction fees, and some may not qualify for certain bonuses and promotions. Read through the casino’s terms and conditions for more details regarding this. Payment methods German casino players can expect are;
Players can create an account on online electronic wallets to make and receive payments. These wallets are third-party services that give you privacy and protect your banking information from theft when used online. You simply fund the wallet and use it to complete transactions online. Some service providers would even offer you a prepaid card.
This method is considered the fastest and most common for online casino transactions, as payments are processed instantly or within mere hours. Favourites among German casino players are Neteller, PayPal, Skrill, ecoPayz, and Paysafecard.
Credit and Debit Cards
You can make payments using your traditional cards like Visa and MasterCard. This option is less secure because the card is directly linked to your bank account. Not all online casinos accept it as a withdrawal option, and when it is accepted, its processing time can be up to 72 hours.
There are recognized third parties that offer instant banking services, allowing players to make quicker bank transfers. This service has a processing time of 24 to 48 hours, and some good examples here are Trustly and SOFORT banking.
Players can make direct transfers from their traditional banks to fund their online casino bankroll. They can also use this method to withdraw their winnings. Online casino players generally avoid this method because it requires them to submit their banking details, and it takes up to five days to process withdrawals.
Gambling laws in Germany
In 2021, an Inter-State Treaty on Gambling (ISTG) called Glücksspielstaatsvertrag passed several gambling laws in Germany. These laws cover games of chance, which the regulatory body defines as activities that have these three factors;
- Payment is made for a winning chance.
- Winnings are dependent on chance.
- Valuable consideration.
Here are some of these gambling laws;
- Any online casinos operating in Germany and offerings their products (virtual slot machines, online poker, and table games) to Germans must apply for and hold a license irrespective of their base of operations. These licenses last for five years and, upon reapplication, last for seven years.
- German players are limited to a maximum monthly deposit of €1000 across all online casinos.
- There is a €1 stake limit and five seconds maximum duration per spin on online slot machines.
- Autoplay function is prohibited.
- Jackpots and live betting games are also prohibited.
- For virtual poker, players must be assigned to tables randomly, and they cannot play at more than four tables simultaneously.
- Online gambling advertisements are prohibited between 6 am and 9 pm. This is to reduce the effect of advertising on the younger population. Advertising cannot be targeted at minors or some categories of “vulnerable” people. Online casinos are also prohibited from cross-advertising and promoting offers while players engage in a different offer. Furthermore, gambling cannot be promoted as a means of making money.
- Every top online casino Germany must provide an obvious opt-out button that leads to self-exclusion for 24 hours.
Gambling Tax in Germany
The Amended Race Betting and Lotteries Act of 2021 set a 5.3% tax on all stakes for betting, including virtual slot games and online poker. This translates to an effective tax rate of 5.03% because it is deducted from the tax base. This high tax on slot machines would see a decrement in the games’ Return to Player (RTP). Online casinos have to self-declare the gambling tax monthly.
Help for Problem Gamblers in Germany
Technological advances and online gambling have caused an increase in the number of gamblers. Online betting has also increased the risks of gambling addictions amongst players. To curb these addictions and help gamblers with problems, online casinos provide measures like self-exclusion and periodical gameplay limits. In Germany, there are organizations set up to help problem gamblers. One such organization is Evangelische Gesellschaft Stuttgart E.V. You can reach them via;
- Phone: 00-49 (0) 711-2054-345
- Email: [email protected]
- Address: Büchsenstraße 34/36, 70174 Stuttgart